Sunday, January 27, 2013
Year of Projects 2: Update 18
Granted, I still have quite a few items on my project list that are not done, but at least I'm making progress on the original list AND the added items.
I did decide that I'm going to try and push the Navajo's completion in February. I think I've got to "just do it" - don't start anything new.... just knock out that blanket.
But, since its not February, I was able to spend some time making a shawl for my daughter. As you all know, I had intended on crocheting the Magic Wrap for her and it ended up too big and then, when it came down to it - it just sucked. It was too stiff and too big and too... not me. So with all that, it still left my youngest without a wrap.
A few days ago I was cleaning out one of my large project bags and I found one of those "take one: free" flyers that you pick up in the yarn aisle. It was from Red Heart called "Have a Heart Shawl" - well, I really liked how that one draped. I figured if I used the recommended hook size, with my gauge as tight as it is, instead of getting the adult size, I would get a size just right for Squirt... and I was right.
The flow of this fabric, since it is so open, is very fluid. I did end up adding a little tie to the front so she could tie it closed simply because she would be very frustrated with an open shawl.
I used Red Heart Super Saver in the color "Buff" - I remember finding several skeins for that on clearance at Walmart sometime last year. I bought several and used several. I had 2 skeins left and this shawl took exactly that, with just maybe 25 yards left over, if I'm lucky.
Because I was getting low on yarn, I didn't go insane with the last row of the edging, and that's ok - she's a small girl and a small edge worked out fine.
She likes it enough she was willing to brave the frigid rainy weather this morning to wear it to church - we had to force her into her wool coat.... But that's ok, she is ready to wear it in the Spring. Just ask her - she'll be sure to tell you.
I do think that this shawl is a better fit for her than the magic wrap would have been - even if the magic wrap had come out in her size. I think she likes the color more and the general look and feel of it.
Other than that, I have spent my time knitting on Pimpelliese and finishing off my knit headband, which definitely has kept my ears warm this last week. I have a couple days off coming up, which is nice - I know I'll spend them knitting or crocheting - and I'm ok with that!
Project List Items (not started/in progress)
- Navajo Indian Multi-Color Afghan (gift)
- 17 squares for SIBOL
- 9 crochet knockers for donation
- 5 pet beds for donation
- 10 chemo caps for donation
- 2 swiffer covers (for me!)
- Knit a Sweater for the Man
- Knit Wingspan Shawl
- 1 pair spat warmers
- Woven Blocks Crochet Quilt
- Room Shoes
- Amimono Kimono (for me!)
Project List Items (done)
- 33 squares for SIBOL
- 5 knit/crochet cloths for Mom (Christmas present)
- 5 knit/crochet cloths for SIL (Christmas present)
- State Fair Afghan
- Dead Fish Hat (Birthday gift for DS)
- Spidey-colored Round Ripple Lapghan (Christmas present)
- 1 crochet knockers for donation
- Wrap (ended poorly - was supposed to be for Squirt but... didn't work out)
Added Items (not started/in progress)
- Tongues of Fire (for me)
- Headband to Match Garter Slip Scarf (for me)
- Pimpelliese (for me)
- Striped Granny Bag
- Elite Syncopations
- Harry Potter Scarf
- Blue or Purple Cowl (for a friend; after the holidays)
Added Items (done)
- Have a Heart Shawl (free Red Heart pattern)
- Magic Square Potholder
- Boot Toppers (Christmas present)
- 50 Ruffle Scarves
- Striped Scarf (Christmas Present)
- Crochet Clock (Christmas Present)
- House Slippers (Christmas Present)
- Warm Hat with Bill (Christmas Present)
- Stocking Cap (Christmas present)
- 3 icord knit snakes
- My Garter Slipped Scarf (for me)
This post is part of the Ravelry Group "Come Blog-A-Long" #yearofprojects Project. If you are interested in joining along or finding other posts similar to this one, visit the group on Ravelry.
Labels: My Projects