Sunday, March 27, 2011

[Video] Granny Square Beret Tutorial

The videos below walk you through the entire 'granny square beret/cap' pattern found on headhuggers.org. I have written permission from Sue of HeadHuggers.org to do this tutorial.

HeadHuggers.org is a charitable program that brings crafters of all kinds together to create hats and get them into the hands of people going through chemotherapy, which causes the individual's hair to come out. The belief of HeadHuggers.org is that the person has enough to worry about with worrying about their head being cold.

In order to follow along with these videos, you will need to use the written pattern located here (will open in a new window):
http://www.headhuggers.org/patterns/cpatt08.htm

Hopefully this pattern will help those struggling with the pattern get through it and have a wonderful hat suitable to give away to someone who can use it.

Video 1: Creating the Granny Hexagon


Video 2: Creating the Granny Square


Video 3: Joining the Granny Pieces Together


Video 4: Adding the Brim

9 comments:

Vonn88 said...

Do you have any suggestions for making this in a child size?

Cris said...

Adjust your yarn to something thinner and more appropriate for a child and then use that recommended hook size. If you have done grannies in kids size, you will have a better idea of how big they turn out. Also, try it on the child before you do the binding at the end and then, if necessary, pull in more decreases to draw it in more, making it a smaller size.

Vonn88 said...

Thank you.

Seasidemelody said...

I would like to comment on Video three. Your explanation and teaching is very thorough, but your yarn color, the background you use and the lighting for the instruction is all too dark. I can barely see what you are trying to show us. That really ruins the whole tutorial. Try using a lighter background with a darker yarn so that there is some sort of contrast between the two. This will help your videos improve so much more. What good is the tutorial when you can't see what the instructor is doing? I hope you take this constructively. This is how it was meant.

Cris said...

Thank you for taking the time to comment and yes, I take it constructively! I am still learning how to make the tutorials as good as possible. I have learned a lot since doing this tutorial but I know there is still a LOT to learn. Hopefully I'll be able to go back in 2012 and redo a lot of my older tutorials.

Again - thank you for your comment on this. I really appreciate it!

Forestchick2003 said...

This video is way too slow. Three words and it stops. You wait too long from one step to the next.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the videos,,, I was about to scrap the pattern,,, I still have some work to do,,, my top piece isn't fitting,, but now that I know from your video how to read the pattern I am going to undo and start over,,, thanks again,,,

Pamela said...

Our ladies' Bible class makes head coverings for cancer patients, and as I was looking online for a pattern I could understand and actually do (whether sewn or crocheted), I came across your tutorials. I must tell you, I have not crocheted in nearly 25 years, but I do believe I could pick it right back up just by watching your tutorials. You did a wonderful job and I appreciate the time you put into it. I will definitely be rewatching these once I purchase some suitable yarn.

NoemiCrochet said...

thanks for sharing!

Post a Comment