Thursday, March 31, 2011

[2KCBWDAY4] Knitting and Crochet Blog Week 2011: Day 4

Today's topic is a question we are to ask ourselves: whatever happened to your _____ ...

Ya know - I racked my brain on this one and realized that there is one item that I do wonder what happened to it, but I really don't think that I will ever know. What I can do is tell you the story of my first afghan.

Around age 5 I joined little league - yup, baseball. I was the only girl on the league and took a lot of flack from the community for this, especially the parents of the boys. After a couple years I landed myself on a team with a fabulous coach. There were a couple awesome coaches, but Mr. S really stood out to me that year. I was maybe 8 years old. He was a special education teacher at my school and spent the evenings coaching a little league team. He was a very nice man and a very very VERY patient man.

The end of baseball season was approaching and I decided to do something for Mr. S. That is when  I sat down, hook in hand and started crocheting red and black granny squares. I genuinely had no idea what it would turn into. My parents bought the yarn for me and with the last skein of red, they accidentally bought a darker red. I noticed but needed to make the squares. What I had was just enough of the darker red squares to make an afghan with a big S in the middle.

I gave it to him and he loved it. I am pretty sure it was the only afghan he would ever have been given by one of his players.

I sometimes wonder how Mr. S is doing... and sometimes, when I think of him, I wonder if he still has that afghan.

---------

If you are interested in reading other peoples' blog posts for Knitting and Crochet Blog Week 2011, just head to google and search for 2KCBWDAY4

10 comments:

Unknown said...

This is so cute. I'm in awe that you could make an afghan at age 8, your coach must have been very touched. I wonder where it is now too!

Nancy McCarroll said...

My husband and his brother STILL have afghans their mother knit them over 30 years ago. So your red and black one is probably is on that guy's couch now, IF he is still single.

Anonymous said...

That is so cute, I actually started to tear up a little. And it's amazing that at eight you made the whole afghan yourself, Crafty 8yr olds FTW XD

CrochetBlogger said...

Aw that's a really sweet story!

Stefanie said...

What a sweet thing to do for your coach at such a young age. I'm sure he cherished it and made good use of it.

Chrissy said...

That is such a lovely story. I can envisage a determined kid hooking away. It must have meant the world to your coach. These volunteers give so much of themselves to so many kids, it must really mean something when they thank you like that.

katiemckinna said...

What a very sweet story! Also, an ingenious way to seal with yarn color issues.

Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet story! I bet he cherished that blanket!

Kepanie said...

What a sweet thing to do for your coach at such a young age. I'm sure he cherished it and made good use of it.

PandaBearofDoom said...

That is so cute, I actually started to tear up a little. And it's amazing that at eight you made the whole afghan yourself, Crafty 8yr olds FTW XD

Post a Comment