Tuesday, March 29, 2011

[2KCBWDAY2] Knitting and Crochet Blog Week 2011: Day 2

Today's topic is one of reflection - to look at myself and see how I have grown; compare myself knowledge and skill-wise.

I know it may sound impressive when I say I've crocheted for a good 30+ years; however, part of becoming better is knowing there is always room for growth. I know that while I am good at what I know, there are so many more stitches and techniques that I can learn.

Looking back at the last year, I think I have spent a lot of time being more creative - making my way away from patterns, mine and others', to just feel free to play freely with the hook and yarn. I have come up with an interesting stitch that I am still working with before releasing it on my blog and in patterns.

As for what I create, I have to admit that previously I tended to shy away from wearables beyond the basics; however, recently, I have taken a turn in making more items like shrugs and shawls and am hoping to tackle some sweaters and socks. It may seem like something every crocheter would make, but honestly - in the 30 years I have crocheted, I have shy'd away those types of patterns and spending more time on other things more focused on household.

So there you have it - my personal reflections on my crochet life in the last year. I would love to hear about yours so please either comment or leave a URL where I can go to read your entry.

5 comments:

sylviesgarden said...

Hi Cris, thank you for stopping by. As far as I know the crochet symbols are the same as in the US. A double crochet would have two diagonal lines across it.
It can be confusing having different stitches for US and UK stitches. I learnt to crochet using US terminology and get terribly confused if I am reading an English pattern. Maybe that is another reason why I prefer diagrams.
Thanks for the advice on the FPDC. I will give it a go.
I can't believe you have been crocheting for 30 years! Wow! I've got a lot of catching up to do.
x

CrochetBlogger said...

I think it's great that you're still learning and branching out after many years of crocheting! What makes crochet such a joy is that it's easy to learn but leaves a lot of room for growth.

Julie said...

I've not done any sweaters or socks either, but I may try my hand at one or both of those this year. I definitely want to try some jewelry, both with yarn and with wire crochet! In my spare time, of course, right?

Voie de Vie said...

While socks will probably be over my dead body (I really hate socks!), all other things are fair game. There's still so much I haven't done.

All in good time ...

Voie de Vie said...

While socks will probably be over my dead body (I really hate socks!), all other things are fair game. There's still so much I haven't done.

All in good time ...

Post a Comment