Tuesday, March 08, 2011

Super-Size Shamrock Shawlette

This is a picture of my shawlette.

Now, before you say "Cris, how can that be a shawlette - it's covering an office chair!?!" .... well, I know.

I saw a pattern posted on Crochetville from The Crochet Spot blog (link to original pattern: here). The pattern caught my eye and I knew I had to make it. I read the measurements and for some reason it didn't sink in with me about how big (or small) it was going to be. This didn't really matter because after I got it started I knew I was going to extend it to a larger size.

So this is the final result. I thought the pattern worked up quickly until it came time to do the shamrock fringe. Oh boy, was that time consuming! I used the L hook as recommended in the pattern and while the shawlette size (the 18 rows it would have ended up) ended up smaller than the dimensions given on the pattern, it didn't bother me - again, because I was making a full-size version. If I were making the actual shawlette, I would have used an M or N sized hook because I do crochet tightly.

showing the shamrock fringe up close
For the shamrocks, I stepped down to an I hook because I didn't like how they looked using the larger hook. I was much happier with the fringe using the smaller hook.

I did attach a cute green button to the front of it in case I choose to fasten it, but honestly, it's pretty heavy and stays put very well on it's own. For the technical on the yarn, I used "I Love This Yarn" brand yarn in the color mid-green. 

So, this is my new shawl.

I wore it all day today (my office is cold!). I was very pleased with it and a lot of people made a comment about it. They loved the color. I am very glad I picked up this pattern and decided to start the project. I would highly suggest it to anyone - the pattern is written rather clearly and is easily increased or decreased in size. If any difficulty would be had by a new crocheter, it would be in making the shamrocks. It would have been nice to have a little more instruction on how to work around the ring at the center of the shamrock, but it doesn't take long to know how to do it, and do it consistently.

So, considering all of this and the general enjoyment I have gotten from my new shawl, I give the Shamrock Shawlette Pattern 4.5 balls of yarn out of 5.







Links:
Crochet Spot Website
Shamrock Shawlette Pattern

0 comments:

Post a Comment