Friday, June 24, 2011

FO Friday (cop out)

OK - I'm sitting here at 10:13 at night knowing I should post something for my finished objects....

Well, today, I'm calling buying a house a finished object. Yup. Indeed I am.

We have spent the last 45 days filling out papers, sending in forms, printing, signing, copying, scanning, emailing, calling, texting, running, worrying, praying, and cursing the entire process that comes along with buying a house. Today, we finally sat back (for a brief moment before the paint-a-palooza started) and signed the last paper and had the keys dropped into our hands.

Finished.

Finally Finished.

It was, in a way, like a dreadful, intricate thread project for me. I am not a fan of working with thread but there are SOOOOO many projects that I love. So what I do is - tackle those one at a time, leaving enough time between projects to forget just how much I detest working with thread.

Don't ask - it somehow works for me.

So I get the thread and I have an excitement brewing inside of me. Then I start hooking away at the thread and realize that it may be a little more tedious than I figured on. And by the time I'm a few hours into it, I'm cursing it. Then angry that I love the pattern so much that I must keep working on it until its done but hate it.

And in the end, when I tie off the last knot and weave in the last tail, there is that moment of satisfaction that I finished it. I finally finished it.

And much like buying a house, after sitting there those few moments realizing we now need to go paint - I remember that thread requires blocking.

Thanks for reading my ramble.

Sorry I'm pictureless today. I didn't think about it and it's late. Do forgive me. :)

If you want to read some real FO Friday posts, head on over to Tami's Amis blog and read through all the links. If you have one yourself, be sure to post to her Mr. Linky.

Have a great day!

12 comments:

Sam said...

Congratulations! I hope you're very happy in your new home!

LyndaGrace said...

Isn't it the most exhilarating feeling when you are handed the keys to your new home? I know from personal experience how nail bitiningly ( spell check doesn't like that word) frustrating that time in between finding the perfect house to finally getting the keys is! 
Congratulations!  

Julie said...

Buying a house is hugely stressful and a HUGE task to have finished! Congrats and good luck with the move!

Kathleen said...

Oh wow, congratulations!  Buying a house totally counts as a finished object, and one that I hope is going to bring you a lot of happiness. :) 

I've only done the tiniest bit of thread crochet so far, but my feelings about it pretty much align with yours.

Hprusia0414 said...

Congratulations on your new home Cris, wishing you many happy memory making moments.  Enjoy.  :-)

Cris said...

Thank you! Moving is proving to be memory making at the moment :P

Cris said...

The horrid thing is there are some absolutely GORGEOUS thread crochet projects. I put a table runner in my queue at ravelry. It's sitting there waiting for me to forget how painful the last doily I made was *laughs* I want to make it for our new dining room table.

Cris said...

Moving is proving interesting. We spent a lot of time boxing and trashing things.... but it seems the "stuff" never ends!

Cris said...

I know for a fact that nail bitingly is a word (I know what it feels like so it has to be a word LOL).

Cris said...

Thanks! We are very excited to be getting in .... I'm just not excited about moving all those boxes. LOL

florencefrazier2002 said...

I know exactly how you feel.  I've spent the last month redecorating my 16 yr dd's room and I'm beat!  I just finished edging the last three walls and I need to roll them.  I'm taking a break because I'm exhausted.  I've worked every weekend and almost every week night, after working all day, trying to get her room finished.  So, don't worry about it.  We've all been there. 
You enjoy picking out the colors and painting your new house, Congrats!!!

CrochetConcupiscence said...

I'm in the midst of reading The Happiness Project (recommend on the awesome DonnasDecembers blog) and the author describes in that different types of happiness. There is a type of happiness that comes from doing things in which each step of the process doesn't necessarily make us happy and yet the anticipation and satisfaction of the project do make us happy. Your thread crochet comments remind me of this. Definite value in that!

Post a Comment