Friday, June 03, 2011

Finally Finished Friday

I have definitely not done one of these in a while - and I'm sure after you read this blog, you were kinda wishing I wouldn't have for at least this week *laughing*

I won't go into grave detail on dishcloths - but for some unknown reason to myself, I have been crocheting dishcloths like nobody's business. I have some on the knitting needles, others are flying off the crochet hook faster than a mob of teenage girls rush into a Rue 21 half-off sale. --- Sans screaming, of course.

I did finish this lovely crochet bracelet, as modeled by my tiny-wristed daughter.

Moving my way into crochet jewelry has been a relatively exciting and frustrating experience. The crochet part seems to be the easiest for me - it's the darn clasps that are causing me anguish.

I'm not kidding - I have made so many bracelets and they look fantabulous and as soon as I get to the end, put the clasp on and start pulling the wire, things just go awry. I have had the wire break from inside the crimping tube, I have had it look like pure crap, and in other cases, it just not want to bend.

While I'm not 100% thrilled with the bracelet my daughter is modeling, I would have to say that it still looks really good. My critical eye sees everything wrong rather than seeing everything that is right with it.

I am trying to get to a point where I like the jewelry enough and am confident enough with my skillz (with a z) to sell them in my ArtFire and Etsy stores. I was even thinking of giving one away on my blog as a celebratory giveaway for achieving 50 followers (although I still haven't hit 50 yet... I was just thinking ahead)

Another FO I have to share is a snood. A simple, wonderful, nostalgia-inducing snood.

Growing up, I wore a snood about 90% of my time during the weekends. You see, we were Civil War re-enactors. I had horribly long hair and the snood was a wonderful solution to getting the hair up off my back and neck without having to spend any time actually learning how to get my hair up off my back and neck. (clever, eh?)

I have forgotten the extreme comfort and ease in wearing a snood. Someone else posted a blog and had a snood on it. And I was inspired to get out my crochet hook and go through the motions I learned a couple decades ago in creating my own snood.

I love it. It took me a couple hours to complete and had it on my head in a couple seconds. I wore it all day today - yes, even out and about shopping and having lunch at Buffalo Wild Wings. My daughter has asked for me to make her one and I know I'll make me two more: one in black and one in white. I also think I may get a few barrettes and embellish them with matching flowers or bows - and sell it as a set in my stores. The barrette to offer extra security in wearing your snood but be stylish to boot.

Who knows - perhaps I'll single-handedly bring the 1850s back.

*hums the tune of 'Bringing Sexy Back' as she clicks the post button below*



--------
If you are interested in reading what other people have completed and are showing off on their blogs, head on over to any (or all!) of these four blogs -

- Tami's Amis
- Visions of Sugar Plums
- Wisdom Begins in Wonder
- Natural Suburbia

21 comments:

Tink said...

I see 50 followers in your sidebar! What pattern did you use for the snood? I occasionally wear them at LARP and my favourite one broke last year.

Kat said...

I thought I was a follower and discovered I wasn't. :o( I am now! :o)   That's one of your patterns for the snood right?  I need to find one to make myself a couple more in colors. The one I have is white.

Cris said...

There are a coupel free snood patte3rns on ravelry. I am using a mix bettween an old pattern I had (vintage), a pattern on ravelry, and my own modifications. I will most likely be posting my pattern in ther mext week or so, provided I can get the virus taken care of on my main pc.

And I do have 50 now - yay!

Cris said...

The pattern is about 50% my own. I used a vintage pattern I had from days gone by, a pattern on ravelry, and my own changes. At this point, I'm pretty sure its my own LOL I am most likely going to get the snood pattern up on this site in the next week.

Heather Woollove said...

Snoods are very kewl!
I agree that jewelry findings can be a pain. Mitsy (Artmind) is a genius with them!!

Twirlycurlybird said...

The bracelet looks beautiful! The snood too, great idea, you've inspired me to make some too! Have a great weekend!

Andrea Morrison said...

tehehe, I am now singing "Sexy Back" in my head.  Actually, I think that whenever I work on halter training with my Alpaca, Sexy Rexy.  I love the snood.  Yes, bring back that fashion statement.  It's beautiful.  I love the crocheted jewelry too.  I know a lady who makes necklaces like that and they are stunning.

Voiedevie said...

Love, love, love the bracelet! I only see everything right with it. :)

Julie Kempton said...

Crocheting jewelry is my next goal, I'm taking a class next week to make a wire and bead necklace. Maybe we can support each other lol!

Spinster Beth said...

Maybe you'll start a trend! A snood looks more comfortable than the hundred bobby pins I have to use with my hair!
I love the bracelet. Makes me think of tiny blue planets.

Keri C said...

I'm the same way with beading.  I have a stunning multi-layer seed bead necklace that I have yet to put a clasp on.  If you ever figure it out, let me know!

AllyB said...

You are talented and funny too!  Lovely snood and the bracelet is quite pretty...I cannot see a single thing wrong with it.  Happy Fiber Arts Friday!

Cris said...

Happy Fiber Arts Friday to you, too! Thank you so much for the compliments :) You are so kind!

Cris said...

Hmmm I was hoping you could tell me! hehehe dang clasps :P

Cris said...

The snood is wonderfully comfortable - I definitely think it could be a new trend!

Cris said...

Absolutely - oh, and if they tell you an easy way to do clasps, please please PLEASE come tell me hehehe

Cris said...

oh so lucky to have an alpaca! Thank you for your kind words - I have really enjoyed my adventures thus far in crocheting jewelry.

Cris said...

You will have to post pictures when you finish your snoods :)

Cris said...

I will have to look Mitsy up - is she on etsy ?

Kathryn | Alpacamundo said...

I think the bracelet looks great!  I also really like the pattern on that snood and think that could be a good solution for my very long hair.  hmmm, may have to check some out.

Welcome back to FAF.  :-)

swandiva said...

Hahaha!  This post was so entertaining!  LOL funny!  And look at that....you reached your 50 followers!  I like the snood....they should totally make a come-back!  I use to work at a dog boarding kennel and we had some dogs that would wear them to keep their ears from dangling in their food :-)

Post a Comment