Sunday, February 19, 2012

Year of Projects: Week 34

Project Percentage Complete: 80%
Overall Percentage Complete: 96%

Number of Project Items: 20
Number of Added Items: 167

Total Completed Items: 179
Total Items: 187


Whelp, a little housekeeping/info first. I did add a few items to the list this week but it wasn't enough to change the overall percentage. I'm ok with that. I think I am doing really good this year and am actually a bit surprised at everything I've made. I can say I never thought I made that much... and the funny thing is, I know I've missed a few items here and there - that I have forgotten to come and add items as I finished them or what-have-you. It's still a pretty crazy list regardless.

I am making decent progress on various projects. My main focus for the week has been Special Olympics scarves but it is hard because they are made using Red Heart. While Red Heart Super Saver is nice after it is washed, working with the darker colors proves to be rougher on the hands. I'm not exactly a fan of that, but I have no choice in the yarn with this one. I could go to the Red Heart Soft option but unfortunately the red seems to be in short supply here.... and I am not afforded the comfort of time to order it online and have it shipped.

I am also a little disappointed that due to other time constraints, I will not be doing a huge donation this year. Last year I did over 10 scarves. This year I will only have 2 or 3. While I know any donation is a good donation, I was really hoping for something larger.

My new Acer tablet
Let's see - I got this little gem of a device a few days ago and have spent a lot of time playing with it. New toys in the house always seem to cut into crochet and knitting time. *laughs*

I am looking for some new apps that are crafting related. I got my Kindle account on here with a Kindle reader app. This means that I can get the crochet patterns I already have associated to my Kindle on my tablet. I have not figured out an easy way to get pdf files to my tablet. I can email them to my Kindle easily, and I have. I was thinking my tablet would be able to replace my Kindle, but losing the "read to me" feature of my Kindle and the ability to email directly to the device are two reasons I will most likely need to keep my Kindle. That's ok - I love it anyway :) It was a Christmas present from my husband last year (Christmas of 2010).

the oops-wrong-size finished bag
So what does this have to do with crafting? Well, first, I'm looking for some awesome crochet and knitted related apps. In addition to this, I need to whip me up a carry cozy for the darn thing. I did start one - my own design, of course and I grossly miscalculated by a half inch. And of course I was having a good time working it up, visiting with my friend, and watching a movie, I didn't pay attention to the size so I was a good hour or two into it before I held it up and thought "uh oh" *laughing*

But, that's ok. I kept working with the idea, took away some 'lessons learned' on the pattern design and know how I can make it better. I also know how I can make it bigger *chuckles* - I'll be adding 5 more chains to the foundation chain.

For the recovered bag, I did something fun and funky with the closing flap. I really like it and will be using it at work for my feminine hygiene items. ... Was that polite enough? *laughs* I really do like the flap on this one and the overall look. I definitely know what I'm going to different as far as making a case for my table; however, I don't know what I'll do for the flap. Obviously I can't do something that closes half the opening for a hard, electronic device. I'll think on that one and wing it when I get there.

The only other thing I have done that is different than my normal is I did practice my cabling with a cup cozy.  I used a pattern from Ravelry (click here).

I really liked how it worked up but being more of a novice knitter I did have to YouTube videos on how to bind off in the pattern and cast on in the pattern to make the button hole. I was ok with the cabling instructions. So - see that little open area there to the left - that is my first ever knitted buttonhole. I think it turned out good (its open because I've had it buttoned and wearing it as a wrist warmer hehehe).

I think the cables turned out pretty nicely. I am going to darn up the 2nd buttonhole today. I don't like that when its on a larger cup, it stretches and leaves a hole.

So, that's all I have today. And because I have enough photos above, I don't have to inject any silly random photos here at the end.... although I do have some new ones that you'll just have to stay tuned in for with other updates that end up needing a photo at the end.

Have a great day! Happy Crafting!


Project List Items (not complete)
- Lacet Table Runner [...started...]
- Throw for living room sofa [state fair project]
- Round Afghan/Throw
- Angel Tree Topper

Project List Items (done)
- 14 pair of Paperclip Ice Skates Ornaments
- Easy Cabled Scarf
- Poncho (early Christmas present)

Added Items (not complete)
- Wristlet Bag (adjusting pattern) [...65%...]
- 2 Kitchen Chair Wall Protector
- 1 knit scarf [started]
- Girls Trellis Poncho [started - my own pattern that will be posted free]

Added Items (done)
- 1 crocheted Wristlet Bag (making my own pattern)
- 1 Ear Bud "purse"
- 1 crocheted hand bag





- 2 Crochet Bags (Mystery CAL Beach Bag, EnviroTote #4)

- 5 Knit Washcloth
- 32 Crochet Wash/Dishcloth
- 1 crochet face scrub finger mitt (Christmas present)
- 1 dust mitt

- 2 Kitchen Chair Wall Protector
- 4 crocheted towel toppers

- 1 WW Yarn Runner for  ledge
- 11 crochet scarves
- 1 knit scarf
- 2 crochet cowls
- 5 Hybrid Hat (pattern coming soon)
- 1 knit hat
- 13 crochet hats
- 2 crochet character hats (sock monkey, puppy)
- 10 crochet hat clips
- 10 crochet headbands (some are Sherry's Headband)
- 10  Candy Stocking Ornaments
- 2 Crochet Lid Topper
- 2 wreath pins
- 1 Spiderweb Doily
- 1 small decorative Christmas tree (didn't like, threw away)
- 6 mug cozies
- 1 pair knit socks
- 4 crochet Faux Boob (pattern)
- 21 SIBOL Square
- 5 crochet pet beds (1 was not for donation, the rest are)
- 2 crochet mitts (owl mitts)
- 2 cup cozies (1 knit, 1 crochet)


---------------------
This post is part of the Ravelry Group "Come Blog-A-Long" #yearofprojects Project. If you are interested in joining along or finding other posts similar to this one, visit the group on Ravelry.

24 comments:

Marie/Underground Crafter said...

The bag is really cute - I love the closing too.  Definitely a great use for it :).

Keri said...

Wow! You get the prize for longest list!  Good luck with all that!

Tonya (nonlinearsolutions.ca) said...

Amazing output.  I'm impressed.  Cables are quite fun and yours are great. What is your device.  I have GoodReader on my iPad which is useful for reading (and marking up) pdf patterns. What sort of apps would you like?  I'm working on learning to develop apps right now.

Emma said...

I like the accidental bag a lot, the half top opening makes it look really interesting and different! And a great us planned for it as well.

Sandycrochet said...

Your completion percentage is stagering it's almost done!  WOW.  I LOVE the cup cozy and must give that one a try.  I've saved some patterns I found along the way, but none that jump off the page make me like this one. 

Ruthmckeown said...

WOW to your precentages, they do the talking really don't they, well done. Love your bag and cup cozy, really pretty. Sorry don't know any apps but hope you enjoy your new gadget.

CrochetBlogger said...

Would love to know what apps you find. Last year I put together a list of 25 crochet/ yarn apps and I'm thinking about starting to test them all out in depth to offer reviews but I haven't jumped on actually doing it.

Cris said...

 Ok, I'm gonna have to go find your list :) I don't want to pay money for anything so chances are I'll end up having to write my own app.

Cris said...

 I wish the "project list" percentage was higher but honestly, other than the throw for the living room, I don't see myself finishing up anything else on that list before June 30th. The table runner is the hardest and most time consuming and right now I have no time to put into it. The only reason I think I'll be getting the throw done is that its multi-purpose. It's also going to be my entry into the state fair. :)

Cris said...

 The cabled cup cozy really turned out nice. I like that its buttoned so it can be a collar for cups like Starbucks OR it can be a mug cozy. Of course, I don't drink coffee so I've been wearing it as a wrist warmer the last day or two *laughing*

Cris said...

 I think I'm going to stick with a similar design for my tablet cover.... but we'll see! I do know I need to write that pattern down while its fresh in my head :)

Cris said...

My tablet is an Acer 7". I wanted something more "hand held" so I can take it to the store with me and use it for crafting. It's still a good size for movies too :) As far as what kind of apps, I'm not sure. I am thinking of developing something like a project management app - for WIPs and UFOs :)

Cris said...

 The list surprises me sometimes too LOL

Cris said...

 Thanks!

Faith said...

Gosh you're busy, you've done so much!

I think your cables look brilliant, and well done for learning a new skill, isn't YouTube invaluable.

Minding My Own Stitches said...

Any donation is a good donation. I can completely relate to your comments with respect to RHSS, but it certainly makes sense that they go with something so widely available so that all the scarves they receive match in colour! For me the list isn't about what I must do but to motivate me to make steady progress. Sounds like you're doing relaly well with lots accomplished, so it's all good!

florencefrazier2002 said...

I am sure no matter what size of donation you give it will be appreciated.  I found with my Kindle that if I plug it into the computer and open the drive it is in, I open the document file and just drag and drop the pdf files in.  They do have to be saved to the computer first.  It's the easiest what I've found to do it.  You are doing good! 

Kepanie said...

The fact that you're making donations is beyond fabulous and big-hearted!  You do what you can do and hey, life is filled w/lots of things to do, etc.
What a neat tablet you've got; I don't think I've heard of it; it's one of the Kindle versions, yeah?

Cris said...

 I think making donations is the least I can do. I appreciate what I have in life and it makes me feel better knowing I haven't just sat around and took but never gave back. Ya know? I really believe finding happiness is made a lot easier if you give of yourself.

My tablet is an Acer. Its an Android based tablet, unlike iPad which is Apple.

Cris said...

 I am thinking that I'll pick up Special Olympics at the end of this year with the new colors and make more donations. I'll have to try that with my Kindle to Tablet.

Cris said...

 Very very true! I know that it helps them in the end for uniformity..... but I still like softer yarns LOL I find myself working on the scarf then going to something with "nicer" yarn - I think its just the color. RHSS dark colors, to me, are much more scratchy and stiff. They always work out after a good wash, but working them up is blah for me :)

Cris said...

 YouTube is an AMAZING resource for people wanting to do anything. We needed to fix a water leak in the bathroom faucet... and yup, we did it on our own with YouTube. I imagine we saved ourselves 100+ $ in the end.

Liz said...

I love the cable for the mug cosy. Your list is going really well! I'm sure your scarves will be appreciated :)

Kate said...

Could you do an envelope style opening? I don't know what the proper name would be, but like those cushion covers where it's stitched wrong side out and you fold it back over? That was almost certainly no help whatsoever.

Your list always blows me away, kudos for doing the scarves too.

Post a Comment