Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Hmph - what to do....

This is a no picture kinda day.

I sat last night and started the Men's Vest from my Year of Projects list and found that I didn't like how it was working up with the yarn. If you remember from previous blog posts, I had started the vest with a different yarn and didn't like it then. I'm beginning to think that the problem isn't the yarn - it's the pattern. I start working it up and I really just don't like it very much.

So then I got to thinking - I could find a replacement garment and do an even swap out. Well - that didn't work out so well either. I went through my magazine and found nothing. I went through Ravelry and found a few things, but they were all knit. I went through my magazines again and found a nice crochet sweater, but I have to admit, I read through the pattern and it confused the crap outta me. I did start that one but the pattern was not working well with the yarn. I'd have to go buy more yarn and I really don't want to do that.

And I'm brought back to the thought that the patterns I really liked on Rav were knit patterns.

Unfortunately - my knitting skills are extremely immature right now.

So what do I do? Take the project off the list completely? I know I don't like the pattern I picked now that I've started it with different yarns.... and I cannot find a suitable crochet replacement.... and knitting a full sweater right now is kinda out of the question considering I seriously suck at knitting right now (good enough for small easy projects, not good enough to tackle a sweater and have it done by Christmas).

I'm looking for some advise - help help help!

2 comments:

florencefrazier2002 said...

I have removed several from my list and added new ones when I didn't like the pattern. There are crochet patterns for sweaters, I did one for my dd last year.  You can do it, I did.  Couple of years after I learned to knit I made myself one and it turned out ok.

CrochetBlogger said...

Have you looked at The Rugged Vest (http://www.coatsandclark.com/Crafts/Crochet/Projects/TV+Projects/KCT0018+Rugged+Vest.htm) or The Adventuring Sage Cable Vest (http://crochetme.com/media/p/88442.aspx) through Crochet Pattern Central?

Or is there a knit sweater that you'd be comfortable trying to adapt by making it sleeveless?

So sorry the project isn't working as planned!

Post a Comment