Friday, February 04, 2011

"Corner of my Heart" Gift Pouch [Pattern]

Finished Project
With Valentine's Day looming (hah, get it "looming"), it makes sense that a craft-related blog would have items to fit that holiday.

Obviously, in the world of crochet, there are a LOT of patterns out there so it is very hard to come up with something new and fun - especially when you're talking hearts. I thought and thought about a pattern but couldn't come up with anything original. It wasn't until I started to think "what am I going to give my husband" when I actually came up with this idea.

You see, my husband and I normally do not celebrate Valentine's Day simply because our anniversary is in February. So if we get anything, it is usually a very simple card or maybe a few candies... and then it hit me - why not make a small heart shaped pouch to hold small trinkets. It is something I am going to put on his pillow (no worries, he doesn't read my blog... he doesn't crochet) so when he comes home in the wee hours of the morning on Valentine's Day, he will get a small pillow reminder in the form of a heart shaped pouch holding some candies.

This pouch is big enough to hold a gift card, concert tickets, some candies... and if you want, instead of throwing it to the wayside, you can put a small pouch of potpourri inside it and use it in a drawer. Heck, I even thought that after I use it for Valentine's Day, it is thick enough to use as a hot pad on my counter.

This pattern is in two parts. The first part is written. It is the basic pattern to get the cloth. The heart shape comes in the form of folds and whip stitching, which I have decided would be easier to show you using video.

---------------------
"CORNER OF MY HEART" GIFT POUCH
By Cris

Hook Size: I
Colors:
- Red Heart Super Saver "Hot Red"
- a scrap of Red Heart Super Saver pink (or a small piece of any color you like; pink or white work best for Valentine's Day). 1-2 feet of yarn will do.

You will need a yarn needle to whip stitch the heart together.

Abbreviations:
ch = chain
st = stitch
hdc = half double crochet

---------------------
Using red:
Ch 40

Row 1
hdc in 3rd ch from hook
hdc in every st to the end (total of 38 hdc's at end of row)

Row 2 - 8
ch 2, turn work
hdc in every st to the end

At the end of row 8, cut the yarn and tie off - leave a long tail so you can sew with it later.

The above gives you a long, red rectangular piece. The heart is created by folding the material and whip stitching it using a yarn needle. How to fold the material is shown in the video below.

2 comments:

JillShope said...

I really like the Heart Pouch, but honestly, you talk too much and take too long to show how to make this.

Cris said...

Thanks for the feedback on this. I know my "rambling" can get in the way sometime - I am trying harder because rambling during a tutorial is not something you can just "cut out" (this was one of my first tutorials).

Post a Comment