Saturday, February 05, 2011

Afghans in the Winter

I never knew how much I appreciate crocheting in the winter, especially anything 'ghan' related. Currently I'm working on a lapghan for my beloved and it is about 1/4 of the way done. Granted, that is not a lot, but it's enough to know when you take it off your lap to go grab something else to drink or start dinner.

When I stood up this weekend, removing the work-in-progress from my lap, my instantly chilled thighs gave me the reminder that my husband is going to love this lapghan - and by love it, I mean *LOVE* it. I thought of how he's going to adore the fact its in his favorite college team colors and that it's a nice manly stitch and an even nicer, manlier pattern (which I'll be posting later, with pictures).

What I also began to think about is my trend - my trend for crocheting larger projects only in the late fall and winter. I can't remember an afghan that I have made that had crochet take place outside the colder months.... I started my daughter's afghan in a summer month, but it was granny squares.... and I didn't sew them together until the fall. My son's afghan was done pretty much completely in Nov/Dec of 2009... and it was a full dc only afghan....

The earliest I remember crocheting an afghan was when I was about 10 years old - for my baseball coach. And again - it was granny squares. I made the small squares in the summer months but waited to sew them together for the fall.

While I have not started any afghans recently, I know I have one more to make for my oldest daughter and I have a feeling, that if it isn't small squares thrown together, I have only a few months to get it started and finished before it gets boxed up until next fall.

.... perhaps a Christmas present for 2011.

2 comments:

~M said...

I still haven't attempted a granny blanket, at least the small granny squares. I'll keep this in mind when the summer hits. It's still on my list to do!

Cheers!

Merri said...

I still haven't attempted a granny blanket, at least the small granny squares. I'll keep this in mind when the summer hits. It's still on my list to do!

Cheers!

Post a Comment