Thursday, March 14, 2013

Making Stitch Markers

I rarely use stitch markers for crochet - I keep some simple plastic ones on hand but have also been known to use a paper clip, a safety pin, and little scraps of yarn. But now that I've been knitting more, I am finding need for something a little more sturdy - something not too thick like the plastic but something that isn't going to slip off.

After looking online, I decided to take a stab at making my own. This is what I came up with.


Squirt also took a stab.

The marker made with hearts was made by Squirt. She did a really good job - I was hoping she would make me more but she seemed to lose her momentum. The "eyeballs" across the top are mine. I kinda grouped them in the progressing stages of figuring out what worked and what didn't.

Squirt had trouble getting the loop around the ring snag free - and getting the ring closed all the way. Even I had difficulty in squeezing the ring all the way closed - but it works and its really cute. I'm glad to have a token like this from her.

The blue eyes, that are by themselves, I tried them in the same manor that Squirt tried - and it didn't work out too well for me. I had trouble getting the wire looped around and snag free. The middle "group" - the single pair of green eyes, was done a bit differently - I used a doubled up piece of wire around a smaller jump ring.... but in the end, I still shouldn't have used the thicker wire.

So that brings me to my last group, the group of three, that look a lot better - I think this will be my method.

Perhaps in the near future, I'll do a give away of some of my eyeball markers! (but let me make sure they work out ok first)

Have you ever tried to make your own stitch markers (beyond bending a paper clip just the right way) ? I'd love to see what you've created!

0 comments:

Post a Comment