AHHH finally a WIP Wednesday that doesn't have to do with house ownership.... kinda. *laughs*
Eddie is a chore of a cat. He is a 20 pound male cat with a serious attitude problem. 90% of the time he is fine, but the other 10% is filled with unpredictable, hateful, and bullyish behavior. We have an older cat that he likes to beat up which is why we think we need to get rid of him.
But, like all good crafters, I don't want to just give up, if something is not working with a pattern, you try something else. And I applied the same logic to Eddie.
The root of his problem with the old cat and the kids is that he can scratch and bite. He's not that way all the time, but when he wants to be, it's very easy for him because he's so big. Yes, he does attack the older cat and yes, he has bit the kids. He's just not what I'd call "friendly." With the new house and furniture, the clawing got quite a spotlight, beyond what it already was with him attacking the older cat. So we figured "claws" was number 1 priority.
Now, I'll say it up front (and I'll expect some hate mail *laughs*): I don't personally believe in declawing an animal. I feel it is usually a vanity move that people make to save furniture. I do not hold it against people who choose to do it to their cats; however, I personally do not want to do that to my pets. I brought them to this house, they didn't ask to be here. Sooooo.... Yes, I want to save my furniture too, but because of this belief I had left myself in a rather sticky situation. And then I stumbled across the Soft Paws website, which is a product that caps off the claw with a rubber cover, preventing the cat from scratching furniture (and people, and cats!).
We found a comparable product at PetSmart - and if you look in the above picture, you will see some blue at his paws end - he doesn't seem to mind them at all and he hasn't been able to hurt anyone all night, including me for putting them on him. And surprisingly enough - he didn't completely shred us in the process of putting them on. He didn't like it, but he didn't draw blood.
How does he qualify as a WIP - because we have been working towards a solution for a very long time and this solution is showing promise. In fact, right now there is hope we'll be able to keep our cat.... I make no promises based on his behavior now, we won't know for a bit, but it seems to be looking a bit more positive than before.
Keep in mind I am not a knitter so the tension isn't that great and the pattern is pretty simple - but I'm proud of what I have accomplished with it so far - all 1.5 feet of it. Hopefully I'll have it completed by Friday, but I am not laying any money on it. I think there is more of a chance of me finishing it by Sunday, my next YOP post.
I'll admit, I'm really glad to have picked up knitting again. I'm still very new to it because while I learned the motions over 25 years ago, I never got serious with it because I didn't like the frustration that came along with it. This last time, however, has been different. While I'm not magically passionate about knitting, I do find that I am not loathing it. In fact, it's not too bad at all. That excites me.
I do apologize to my regular readers that I do not have a crochet related WIP, but I do promise you that they are there. I need to get my project bags in order and pull out the ones that I have in progress but have lost sight of because of the move.
With that said - if you are interested in reading other WIPs or would like to share one of your own with other readers, be sure to head over to Tami's Amis blog.
Have a great day!